From Jessica Morelli, Founder of Palermo Body.
I’m not sure there’s anything better than a beautiful sunny day, but what I am sure of is how important it is to use sunscreen daily. As wonderful as bathing in the sun’s rays can be, our thinning ozone makes us more and more susceptible to the damage those rays cause.
I’ll admit I have not always been a fan of wearing sunscreen regularly. I’ve never liked the smell or the feel of most products on the market. I figured thanks to my olive complexion, I could live without it and be fine. That was until I started to notice sunspots on my face at the ripe old age of 27 (what!?). Since then, I’ve taken sunscreen much more seriously and what started out of vanity ended up being the smartest addition to my daily routine.
As a skincare maker, I rarely miss applying my daily facial care products (I always use our Hydrating Facial Toner and Regenerative Facial Serum) but the addition of sunscreen has been much less painful than I anticipated. Thankfully there are a number of fantastic natural sunscreen options on the market now. Below are a list of my favorites –
Natural Tinted Options:
1. Josh Rosebrook – Nutrient Day Cream Tinted SPF 30
This lightweight this formula blends in with ease while still providing the necessary SPF coverage.
2. Suntegrity – 5 in 5 Tinted Face Sunscreen SPF 30
Offers a buildable tint making it a great replacement to a less protective CC cream.
3. Jane Iredale – Dream Tint SPF 15
This is a great option if you’re looking for foundation coverage that includes SPF
Natural Un-tinted Options:
1. Josh Rosebrook – Nutrient Day Cream SPF 30
Great un-tinted facial option. Super lightweight while still providing the necessary SPF coverage
2. Suntegrity – Natural Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30
Has a denser consistency for body coverage.
3. Raw Elements – Eco Formula SPF 30
At an approachable price point, this one is great for body coverage.
Tips when buying sunscreen:
- Buy small sizes; expired sunscreen is useless whether it’s natural or not. Expired product has broken down and is no longer effective so it’s actually more cost effective to purchase smaller amounts rather than splurging for the large bottle unless you know the rate you’ll go through it.
- Bring it with you; sunscreen is most beneficial when reapplied regularly if in the sun for hours at a time. I bring my facial sunscreen with me in my purse at all times and having the smaller sized option always makes it easy for me to carry it along with me.
- Natural is a must; being a product that is intended to protect us, it is astounding how many commercial sunscreens have chemicals that have been found to be detrimental to your health. Many of these chemicals are known to be toxic and have side-effects that could throw off hormones, perpetuate skin irritations, worsen burns, and even cause cancer. I strongly urge using natural products across the board but when it comes to sunscreen it is necessary.
Spread the word! Tell your friends, family, grocery store clerk, and everyone else how important it is to use natural sunscreen. Never again be stumped as to what to purchase for the “person who has everything”. Buy them natural sunscreen! It may be the most beneficial gift you could give them.