From Beauty Guru & Organic Maven Tara Mackey.
Cleaner, greener beauty is going mainstream. 2017 may finally be “The Year of Green Beauty,” thanks to many more retail stores, women, millennial moms (and even guys!) getting more clear on their health and wellness. Luckily, I’ve already been on the organic train since I started my blog, The Organic Life, in 2011. My beauty cabinets are stocked full of both tried-and-true brands as well as a handful of the hundreds of new clean beauty brands that emerged this year. It’s been amazing to watch the revolution grow!
Green beauty became important to me when I started my health education. Our skin is the largest organ we have. It absorbs everything we put on it in some way – including our lotion, our tooth care products, our body products and our makeup! I soon discovered that even everyday staples we don’t think twice about (like my trusted Vaseline and favorite lipstick) contains toxins and irritants that have been proven to harm you in the long run. Switching to green beauty can save your wallet and your health! Below are my favorite products and easy switches:
1. Waxelene is my Vaseline replacement! Made with only 3 organic ingredients + pesiticide free beeswax, it’s my jam for moisturizing, protecting and hydrating my skin!
2. Genetix is my best-kept beauty secret! It supports feminine health with phytoestrogen herbs and flowers, which are meant to enhance and beautify. It works to enhance your curves as well as boost your confidence.
3. Josh Rosebrook Tinted SPF: a great sunscreen is important, but a CLEAN sunscreen is a must! JR’s Tinted SPF is an every-day must in the SoCal sun. Nourishing ingredients protect skin and give a beautiful glow.
5. Vapour Siren Lipstick is an every day go-to! They have such gorgeous shades. A naturally long-wearing, moisturizing lipstick in fashion–forward colors, Vapour is designed to flatter all skin tones and nourish parched lips in style. It’s pure plant ingredients are processed without chemicals to produce a moisturizing shine that rivals the performance of its mainstream counterparts.
6. Odacite Toner works to balance and tone your skin on those BLAH weeks. Quickly and effectively reduce the appearance of acne & breakouts and keeps skins Ph in balance.
7. I switched to bamboo tooth brushes by F.E.T.E. and I love them! Protect the earth while protecting your teeth. By using recycled bamboo, you’re literally saving the rainforests!
8. Lotus Wei Inner Peace Perfume is based on the concept of Dr. Bach’s flower essence remedies. This anointing oil delivers deep peace, calm, confidence, comfort + contentment; strength + assuredness during times of high-stress. It dissolves high levels of stress; feeling a lack of support; anxiety, nervousness, heart palpitations, fear, lack of confidence. Great for public speaking fears!
9. May Lindstrom The Problem Solver Mask is the mask that started it all for me! This hard working, plant based mask is a powerhouse. Great for tackling stubborn acne. You can feel it tingle and go to work as you apply it. Herbs, spices and clay balance the skin, drawing out impurities and leaving a fresh glow behind!
10. Rare Elements Essential Conditioner is a must for my mixed-girl curls, but works perfectly on every hair type. It repairs and rebuilds weakened, moisture deprived locks instantly with the “healing properties” of exotic oils and rain-forest butters.
11. Odacite Jasmine Mimosa Body Scrub will make you want to eat it! This certified-organic complex of algae and rice extracts bring both firming properties and moisturizing benefits, and it’s invigorating blend of Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Lemongrass and Mimosa refreshes the body and mind.