From Stacey Griffith, SoulCycle Senior Master Instructor and Author of Two Turns From Zero.
Alright, the time to cleanse has come! Spring is about to throw down its sunshine on your shoulders as you walk outside under the big blue sky! Are you ready for it? This is your first question to yourself: am I ready for spring? If the answer is no, guess what? I have a quick-fix guide to keep you on track in case you aren’t ready for a tank top yet! Grab your iPhone, a post-it note, a pen, and the song “Shape of You” by Ed Sheeran because we need a rockin’ song to match this rockin’ plan.
Ok, first things first.
- Snack cabinet clear out. Remove all packaged snacks – period. They aren’t here to help; they are here to layer on your fascia and get in the way of your body detail. So for now (the next ten days) please kindly remove the crap.
- Leftover removal. Remove all cheese from the fridge. You can keep proteins and fruit. (All of these “clear out” tips are in my book, Two Turns From Zero, and are from a professional nutritionist, Meredith Geller, with whom I work).
- Now we have a clear canvas to work with. Load that fridge full of Bai waters – flavored or unflavored, sparkling or not sparkling – just make sure you have plenty of water on tap. There are natural sugars in the water but they are under five calories, so don’t worry. You’re not going to have a six pack a day. Control yourself and just have a couple throughout the afternoon and evening.
- Drink Bai Antiwater all day long. There are antioxidants in the water to combat the free radicals in your body. It’s rad!
- If you’re a bread eater, chill…can you go ten days without it? Remember we are on a mission to get your body cleansed and ready for spring. You’ll live ten days without it – then we can reintroduce a piece here and there in a healthy sandwich. But it’s not an everyday thing and you know it, so stop eating it just because it’s there and you’re hungry.
- Pizza, pasta, and dessert are also taking a leave of absence for this dime, this time (get it, ten days ten cents?) We are just saying, “No thanks. I’m actually on a fitness plan for ten days, so I’m going to pass…where is the veggie plate?”
- Ok, I know what you’re thinking…WTF is left to eat?? Well, you’re going to have to get creative here. What’s left that you enjoy that’s good for you? You have to decide that. I always have a plan every week with what I eat, even if we go out to dinner. Line up your shit. LYSU for the ten days: write out what you will have each day for ten days and stick to it! Wake up, have a smoothie (recipes are in my book!) or eggs with veggies. You can also have the smoothie for lunch with a light protein addition of milk or no sugar yogurt, or a banana for potassium. If you go out for dinner, have the fish. If you don’t eat fish, have the chicken. If you don’t eat chicken, have the protein alternative you love with a healthy carb.
- Remember, no added sugars for this dime! There is natural sugar in fruit so watch out for how much you eat of that. I’m talking about candy, cookies, scones, muffins, donuts, bars, cereals with sugar, blah blah blah…say no, no, no this dime!!
- Workouts workouts workouts!! This is the greatest part, but I want you to remember something: it doesn’t have to be 45 minutes at a time! If you can only get to a SoulCycle class three times, that’s ok! (But try to do five a week, if your schedule permits).
- If you only have ten minutes to do some at home push-ups, ab carver pro, power walk on your work break, squats over the toilet – whatever, I want you to be moving all day long, every day, for ten days!!!
- Drink water water water! And hot water! Then more water! Add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to each cup or bottle of water. This will get that digestion movin’!
Most importantly: do things in the next ten days that make you happy! Surround yourself with people who believe in you. Hang with people that put you in a great headspace. Find your posse, find your squad. Join my squad @staceygnyc on Instagram or send an email to me at s[email protected].
Take pictures of the before and after and remember: it’s only 10 days. You’re showing some self-respect by sticking to our plan! Make yourself proud, have something to friggin’ prove, and then I’ll tell you what we do after the 10 days if you want to keep going!! You in? Let’s do this!
The New Potato and its materials are not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prevent any disease or ailment.
All content on The New Potato (even when supplied by a medical professional) is intended for educational and conversational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or healthcare provider before beginning any new diet, exercise regime, or wellness routine.