Decorating effectively for the holidays in an apartment can pose a serious challenge. That’s why we’re looking for quick, small ways to do it this year. That means easy adjustments that make our apartment festive without the hassle of big, traditional decorations. Whether you’re hosting or just want to spruce up the space for yourself, we’ve got a plan for you. Read below for our best tips; they’re bound to charm even Scrooge-like visitors…
1. Wrap your presents early in a bold patterned paper – we like this one – and put them out as decoration. It’ll brighten up your apartment and encourage you not to save your shopping for the last minute.
2. Add some green to your space. You may not have room for a tree, but a few small potted plants will automatically help you channel that “weekend in the country” aesthetic.
3. Twinkle lights are a quick way to bring some festivity to your apartment. Avoid looking like a college freshman, though, by placing them on your dining table with some tall candles; the lighting at dinner will be perfect for holiday selfies.
4. Hang some mistletoe! It’s widely available at the farmer’s markets and can help bring some aromatherapy to your apartment.
5. Fill a large clear vase with some glass ornaments (like these); add them to your table for a festive centerpiece.
6. Make place cards out of pieces from nature, like pine cones and pine branches. Try using one of these metallic calligraphy pens for the ultimate holiday look.
7. You may not have an actual fireplace in your apartment, but you can burn these candles to make it smell like you’ve had a fire roaring all day.
9. Hang a wreath on your door. Go with a classic pine arrangement or choose something in cranberry red to announce to the world how much you love this season.
10. At the risk of sounding like your mom, switch out your hand towels for something seasonal. We like metallic paisley; they look more chic than Santa-obsessed.
*Feature image by Ellen von Unwerth.