We rely on Joanna Vargas for a lot of things. She’s taught us how to cure dry skin, how to exfoliate, how to make skin glow, and has provided us with many delicious face masks over the years (Is there anything this woman doesn’t know?). Today, Vargas is sharing her knowledge on how to tighten pores. This is no doubt something we all wonder about, and we’re thrilled to inform you that – according to Joanna – the solution most likely already in your fridge. Scroll through below for Vargas’ top nine tips for keeping skin tight.
1. Nothing is better for your skin’s health than eating right. Greens supports the health of your capillaries and aids in lymphatic drainage. The boost in antioxidants also helps your skin combat cell mutation from the sun.
2. The best pore refining trick is the strawberry. It contains salicylic acid and really helps tighten the pores. You can add it to any mask, or if you are feeling creative, mash into yogurt and use that as a mask!
3. Believe it or not, it’s very easy to use kitchen ingredients on the face. I like to make a mask:
1/2 cup yogurt
1/2 cup mashed strawberry
1/4 cup honey
Mix together and apply to face and neck for 10 minutes. It’s soothing and tightens pores. If you want to add some extra exfoliation, put two tablespoons of almond power into this one and scrub it onto the skin with extra time spent on the t-zone, where most blackheads are found. Then leave it on as a beauty mask. The results will be amazing!
4. Microcurrent is a technology I use to keep the skin tight and muscles toned in the face. I have clients who have been coming to me for years for the treatment. The results are cumulative and amazing! The microcurrent drains puffiness, tightens muscle and builds collagen. It’s like going to the gym for your face. This is my favorite facial to give to anyone before a big day like a red carpet.
5. I love my Exfoliating Mask because I can even use it around my eye area to take away the fine lines around my eyes. It really makes me look fresh. An alternative to that one for me is the Eminence Organics Citrus Exfoliating Wash. It has lime in it so it tightens pores and the scrub is super gentle.
6. I absolutely believe products can help with elasticity and anti-aging. Look for products with vitamin c, which is good for elasticity and products that contain ingredients that cause cell turnover have been proven to be very collagen building. That would be acids, vitamin A’s, and in my natural products, galactoarabinan.
7. Grapefruit: tightens pores and a great source of natural salicylic acid.
8. The best vitamins for glowing skin are antioxidants. I love taking grape seed extract, green tea and bilberry extract. I really feel like when my skin glows for miles. The benefit of antioxidants physically is that they protect the skin against sun damage, loss of elasticity and free radial damage. That means you are keeping your skin young and tight!
9. I always recommend that people switch from a drying toner to something like rosewater. Rose is hydrating, very light and good for circulation. Lime is a great ingredient for oily skin because it tightens pores and acts as an astringent without over drying the skins surface. Plum and strawberry are good for super dry skin. And chamomile is great for soothing and violin sensitized skin.