This is a cleanse you can easily replicate on a daily basis, if you want it to be longer, from a celebrity nutritionist who truly cares about results…and delivers them…
From Kimberly Snyder, New York Times Best-Selling Author and go-to nutritionist for celebrity clients like Drew Barrymore, Kerry Washington, Channing Tatum and Reese Witherspoon.
- SBO Probiotic: A healthy gut is key for health and beauty, as it directly translates to better nutrient absorption, immunity, balanced moods and more. But most probiotics (even those with a culture count in the billions) are not that effective. In contrast, soil-borne organisms (SBOs) mimic the mix of bacterium naturally found in the soil, which our ancestors ate in small amounts from unwashed vegetables straight from the garden. They are hearty, survive stomach acid, and are in tune with your body as they are in tune with nature.
- Hot water with lemon: Starting your day with this is an integral part of the Beauty Detox program. Lemon aids with digestion by increasing the secretion of bile from the liver, while also acting as a strengthening agent to the liver’s enzymes. Any support to the liver, which is our primary detoxifying organ, is going to help skin issues like acne in the long run. Lemon also supports digestion in the colon, promoting the elimination of waste more efficiently and regularly. It also acts as a blood purifier and as a cleansing agent to flush out bacteria and toxins in the body. These properties in aiding digestion make lemon also helpful in long-term weight loss.
- 24 ounces of the Glowing Green Smoothie®: This is the ultimate energy and beauty booster. It’s loaded with greens (about 70%), lemon juice and some fruit. It packs a mega-punch of vitamins, enzymes, minerals, amino acids and fiber, helping to stabilize blood sugar levels in the morning as it supplies all these vital nutrients. The high amounts of fiber (it’s not a juice, which is not a whole food!) combined with the enzymes help to flush pollutants and toxins out of your body, which is important for long-term vitality and youthfulness.
- Dharma’s Kale Salad: This is a staple Beauty Detox recipe that is high in plant protein and minerals. It includes this amazingly nutrient dense green, along with lemon juice, nutritional yeast for B vitamins and amino acids, sprouts, avocados, veggies, green onion (scallion). Yes, you can get strong from plant foods! Plus they digest cleanly and don’t leave acidic by-products.
- For the fat in the salad, I like to massage avocado in, which is a whole food and helps to control the portion size, versus oil, which can be very dense and you can end up having a pretty large amount quickly. Too much dense oil (again, not a whole food!) can coat the bottom of your stomach and hinder digestion and make you feel sluggish.
- If you want to make your lunch denser, you can add a fiber-filled, easy to digest vegetable soup, or top your salad with some quinoa or organic tempeh.
- Mid-afternoon snack: My favorite mid-afternoon go-to is a Power Protein Shake. It includes unsweetened almond or hemp milk, raw vegan protein powder (I like the blends best, including brown rice and pea protein or hemp), chia seeds, ripe banana (for sweetness) and a Sambazon pure unsweetened smoothie packet (this is an incredible skin food, packed with antioxidants and omega 3 fats, but naturally sugar free. I try to have at least one packet every day).
- Digestive enzymes: These help to more efficiently digest fats, starches and proteins, to save your beauty energy
- Large green salad: Raw greens add fiber and enzymes to the beginning of the meal to help whatever is eaten afterward digest easily.
- Ideally (when eating at home), about ½ a cup of Probiotic & Enzyme Salad (aka raw sauerkraut, if you don’t want to make look for a local raw brand at health market in the refrigerated section), which adds more enzymes and probiotics to help dinner digest.
- Either a starch (quinoa, spaghetti squash, brown rice/stir-fry, etc. – there are a zillion Beauty Detox recipes out there!) or a protein (lentils, organic tempeh, or some animal protein, if you choose to eat it) plus lots of veggies. It’s easier on your body to digest one or the other.
- Note: though I am personally plant-based, most of my clients are not. You can still follow Beauty Detox and eat some meat, but a few times a week or month is sufficient, and definitely not more than once a day (otherwise your diet becomes too acidic). And dairy is a big no-no! (Yes, there is coconut yogurt and goat’s cheese digests better than cow’s milk cheese).
- Dessert: The best thing to have is acai sorbet. It digests well with anything you eat (acai is a fatty fruit), and truly feels like a dessert while you are eating a powerhouse berry that helps to build glowing skin and healthy hair. Again, Sambazon has an awesome one.
I’m a big fan of a soothing hot drink in the evenings – either a mug of herbal tea, or the Nourish your Nervous System Elixir, which combines hot hemp milk with soothing herbs like cardamom and saffron.
- Magnesium oxygen supplement (Detoxy+)
- This gives extra support to our bodies in flushing out acids and waste. The cleaner our bodies, the more youthful and healthy and beautiful we become. It’s non-habit forming and not a laxative. I’ve been taking it for years, at least a few times a week and every day when I’m traveling.
*Kimberly Snyder, photographed at Dimes (with Sambazon Acai bowls) in New York, NY by Danielle Kosann