When it comes to keeping our skin in good shape, there is no one we trust more than Joanna Vargas. The celebrity facialist has been giving us skin advice (and DIY facemask recipes) for quite some time, so when she offered up some tips on how to keep skin glowing throughout the summer months we knew we had to take note.
Peruse below for Joanna’s 4 easy tips on how to keep skin looking radiant during this warm and humid season. Plus try out her Soothing Summer Peach Mask, its ingredients are useful and tasty – A snack and a mask in one? This is so us.
1. Keep in mind, summer skin needs less moisture but just as much TLC because of our increased exposure to the environment. Once the weather gets warmer, I suggest changing your skincare routine to just serums.
2. In my own line, I have a Daily Serum which is inspired by my love of green juices. It contains oat grass juice which boosts your lymphatic system, chlorophyll to oxygenate the face and hyaluronic acid to keep the skin hydrated. I also have a nighttime formula called Rejuvenating Serum, which is made from argan oil for Vitamin C, jojoba oil for balancing oil production, olive oil, a skin softener, neroli oil for better circulation, and rosehip oil for environmental protection. It improves your skin’s ability to heal and the texture of the skin. It’s so liberating to not need anything else for the skin! Plus a daytime serum is great to apply under sunscreen, which you absolutely cannot live without.
3. Another great tip to avoid dry skin is to eat avocado everyday as part of your salad, or even throwing a half of an avocado into your morning smoothie. Avocado supplies the skin with healthy fats and phytonutrients to hydrate from the inside out and bring back your glow. I also love Avocado Soup. It’s cold, so it’s great in summer. Three days of that and your skin radiates for miles!
4. A big step to making the skin look good during the sticky summer months is making sure you exfoliate twice a week. It is an important step that will make you look like you have just had a facial! I also recommend taking your cleanser in your gym bag and washing your face right after a workout and not waiting till you get home. It will keep your pores cleaner in between facials and let the skin breathe.
5. Try this Soothing Summer Peach Mask:
½ fresh, ripe peach
½ teaspoon honey
2 tablespoons of plain yogurt
1 teaspoon of cold pressed grape seed oil
Mash the peach in a small bowl. Mix in the yogurt, honey and grape seed oil to form a thick paste. Apply directly to face for 20 minutes to reveal a glowing, clear complexion.
Peaches are packed with Vitamin C, which is excellent for tired skin, as well as blemishes. Add honey and yogurt for their anti-bacterial and smoothing properties. Grape seed oil is a magnificent oil sometimes forgotten. It contains Vitamins D, C and E, as well as linoleic acid, which strengthens cell membranes, reduces wrinkles and heals acne.