Okay potatoheads, a new column and Instagram party has officially begun and it’s called #yournewpotato. Each week, we’ll be picking our favorite Instagram to post on our site AND Instagram, that answers the question “What’s your new potato?” Just make sure to tag us @thenewpotato and use the hashtag #yournewpotato.
From Hamilton the musical to poke bowls and fur loafers, your new potato can be absolutely anything – and we want to know what it is! This week’s winner is the popular Instagram handle @Put_a_fork_in_It…
On who they are…
Hey! Alex and Tessa here of the 20k+ Instagram, Put_a_fork_in_It. We are self-proclaimed fried egg connoisseurs, born and raised in NYC. Together we share a love of charcuterie plates, finding the best cut of Toro sashimi, natural light and anything edible that smells like the ocean. We live to travel and experience other cultures, especially the local cuisine. We love a good round table dinner, spending our days swaying on hammocks and bitter cocktails.
On their ideal food days…
Alex: It would start in my kitchen – a poached egg on top of any leftover Bok choy, fennel, and rice concoction with a side of Zabar’s smoked salmon. Lunch is anything on the menu at El Rey Luncheonette and Coffee Bar (+ window seat). For an afternoon snack, Miss Lily’s juice bar or oysters at Bar Sardine. For dinner, the beautifully simple grilled octopus at Frankies Spuntino or the ginger lobster at The Great NY Noodle Town. For dessert, green tea soft serve from Koreatown or Westville’s warm apple pie.
Tessa: I would start with an iced matcha latte from Chalait followed by spiced poached eggs over grilled haloumi and greens from Café Mogador in the village. For lunch, I am addicted to dumplings, so lunch would be stopping by my favorite hole in the wall spot in Chinatown, Nice Green Bo, for a hearty helping of soup dumplings and scallion pancakes. For dinner, homemade fresh mussels in a spicy red sauce and raw clams on the half shell (preferably to be enjoyed outdoors). For dessert, Lady M’s green tea mille crepe cake
On beauty from the inside out…
A few ways:
1. We really believe that “you are what you eat (and drink)” mentally and physically, so…greens on EVERYTHING, hot ginger and lemon water, green tea, and the right amount of guilty indulgence (pizza).
2. Make to-do lists every night before bed. You’re less worrisome when you put it down on paper and can go to sleep with a light and leveled mind.
3. SWEAT (out the bad…and some of the good to make room for more). We love classes and don’t discriminate – boxing, barre, running, yoga – it’s important to maintain a balance.
4. Finding that Vitamin D! We love the sun (natural makeup and mood booster).
5. Confidence! (And spreading it) Rather than women judging one another, compliments, compliments, complements! A “Hey, those pants make your butt look great” goes a long way.
On why this photo is their new potato…
Because this cute mini lobster roll screams all things summer in the city. It’s the perfect, no-fuss, spontaneous, hearty late afternoon bite (plus the cobblestones make for the perfect backdrop).
Don’t forget to read our interview with last week’s #yournewpotato winner.