Bone broth… Everyone’s talking about it, but have we addressed exactly why that is? What’s so special about soup made from bones that has no carbs swimming delightfully around in it? LA-based nutritionist, Jennifer Miremadi, gave us a top to bottom guide to bone broth including why you should be drinking it. Trust us, it’s no doubt a staple you should work into your diet – especially now that the temps have significantly dropped in the past few days. Read below to find out why its just so good for you. Spoiler alert, it includes glowing skin…she had us at hello.
1. Detox and liver support. Bone broth is loaded with the amino acid glycine. Not only does glycine play an active role as a cofactor in the first phase of liver detoxification, glycine is also one of three amino acids that make up glutathione, an important detoxification enzyme.
2. Beautiful skin. Bone broth is also rich in the amino acid proline, which you need for collagen formation. Collagen is one of the main proteins that gives skin its firmness.
3. Healthy bones. Bone broth is good source of calcium, which is essential for bone health.
4. Joint support. Chondroitin sulfate, found in bone broth, is often used as a supplement for joint pain in osteoarthritis, while hyaluronic acid, also found in bone broth, helps to lubricate joints.
5. Gut health. Bone broth is often recommended to those with gut issues like IBS, IBD or leaky gut because the gelatin in the bone broth is thought to help with digestion and may help soothe and protect the digestive tract lining.
6. Bone broth tastes great. Even aside from its potential health benefits, bone broth tastes delicious and can help enhance the flavors of other dishes.