Jill Martin is truly deserving of the much debated slash. You know what we mean; these days there are a lot of actress/model/lifestyle expert/insert another occupation here and it can get a tad…irksome. Alternatively, Martin actually is a Knicks sportscaster/Today Show Contributor/New York Times Bestselling Author/QVC Creative Director, and we’re definitely fans. This week, in light of the upcoming holiday season, Martin gave us twelve tips for packing light…
1. Make a list and check it twice.
2. Stick to one color scheme: Two neutrals, then add two to three fun colors or accessories.
3. Pack three tops for every bottom
4. Be a lightweight. Avoid packing bulky and heavy clothes.
5. Pack basic shoes that will go with all of your outfits.
6. Pick out outfits to avoid over-packing.
7. Roll it, fold it, bundle it.
8. Line your suitcase with trash bags (one on the bottom and one on the top). This decreases the chance of your clothes wrinkling and your clothes getting wet if it rains.
9. If you don’t have shoe bags, use plastic bags.
10. Layer Your Suitcase:
Bottom: Shoes/heavy items
Foundation: Rolled clothes
Second layer: Folded pants/ dresses
Third layer: Sweaters and folded shirts
Top layer: Crushable items (aka toiletries, bras/underwear, bathing suits, blowdryer, etc)
11. Always pack a plastic bag for dirty laundry.
12. TSA 3-1-1 Rule (liquids limited to 3.4oz/100ml (or less) in 1 quart sized bag)