Unless you’ve been living under a rock (or have neglected to read TNP for a while) you’ll probably be aware that coconut oil is having a moment – and that we are completely and utterly obsessed with it. We’re basically convinced that it is magic at this point, as it performs miracles for the skin, hair and can even be used in cooking!
Last week we showed you 10 amazing ways to use coconut oil on skin, (to moisturize, to exfoliate, to highlight… the list goes on) and this week we are letting you in on all the secrets coconut oil can perform on hair. Talk about a multitasker! Read through below to see 5 uses for coconut oil on hair, and invest in some ASAP.
1. To Strengthen: The simplest way to use coconut oil on hair is just to put it in your hair before you go to bed and let it sit overnight. It’s a great remedy for brittle, dry hair.
2. To Prevent Dandruff: A great mixture to prevent dandruff is coconut oil and sesame oil combined. Apply it as a mask for around thirty minutes, then shampoo.
3. To Grow Hair: Massage your scalp several times a week for ten minutes with a teaspoon of coconut oil.
4. To Prevent Scalp Sunburn: Coconut oil is actually a natural sunscreen, so if you substitute it as your conditioner on a morning you know you’ll be in the sun (and don’t rinse it out) you’ll have SPF on your head throughout the day!
5. To Detangle: Gently massage the coconut oil into your hair, then using a brush work your way to your roots.