We hope you’re not tired of hearing about wellness in the new year, because we’ve got two Meatless Monday recipes still coming up (check out the first here). You can’t say you never wake up on a Monday morning, after a weekend of debauchery, and say to yourself, “This week, I’m living on green juice and blueberries.” Of course, if you’re anything like us, the resolution lasts until about lunchtime, and then you’re back to your old devices. That’s why we teamed up with Gardein for a realistic goal for the first three Mondays of January; simply making them meatless. Gardein is the brand that dishes up meaty meals and snacks made simply from plants. With taste and texture that makes even us carnivores think we were still eating meat, Gardein has made us converts.
Don’t worry, us potato-heads are here to help. Up today is a Greek meatball sub with black bean fries. Have it today, and make a big, big entrance with it at your upcoming Superbowl party. We dare you…
Greek Meatball-less Pitas
– 1 Whole Wheat Pita, cut into half
– 4 Gardein Meatless Meatballs, cooked, cut into half
– 2 pieces Bibb Lettuce
– 1/8 cup Cucumber, sliced 1/4″ thick
– 1/8 cup Tomatoes, small diced
– 1 TBSP Hummus
– 1 TBSP Feta (Vegan substitute also works)
– Tzatziki Sauce, drizzled (Recipe Follows)
Spread hummus inside each pita half. Layer lettuce, cucumbers, meatballs, and tomatoes. Sprinkle feta on top and drizzle with tatziki sauce
– 1 cup Greek Yogurt (Vegan substitute also works)
– 1/4 cup Cucumber, peeled, small diced
– 3 Scallions, whites and greens thinly sliced
– 1 TBSP Lemon Juice
Stir together yogurt, cucumber, scallions, and lemon juice. Great for dipping vegetables or garnishing sandwiches.
Black Bean Fries with Avocado Dipping Sauce
– 4, Gardein Black Bean Burger Patties, cut into 1/4″ strips
– Olive Oil or Coconut Oil Nonstick Spray
– 1/2 Avocado
– 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt (Vegan Substitute Works as Well)
– 1/4 cup Cilantro
– 1 TBSP Lime Zest
– 1 TBSP Sea Salt
– Juice from 1 Lime
Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray. Line black bean burger strips on baking sheet close together but not touching. Spray with non-stick spray. Bake for 20 minutes, until crisp on the outside.
In a food processor combine avocado, greek yogurt, cilantro, lime zest, sea salt, and lime juice. If too thick, thin with water, 1 teaspoon at a time until the desired consistency.
*Photographed by Alli Shepherd. Sponsored by Gardein.