There’s a lot of talk this week about the phenomenon of the ‘dead mall.’ Sadly, it seems, many of those old school temples of ours where we ate, shopped, perched and maybe even sparred with classmates (think Regina George in Mean Girls) as teens, are now more empty than ever. While we won’t aim to comment on the business aspect of it all, we will take a walk down memory lane and analyze just what makes a ‘mall rat?’ Here are ten signs you were one as a kid…(we know we were.)
1. You never needed perfume because you always rocked a secondhand smell of Abercrombie & Fitch cologne.
2. The majority of your Chinese food intake came from food court samples of mystery meat glazed in…well…some sort of mystery glaze.
3. Your ears were pierced at Claire’s…as was your ‘cartilage.’ And your Mom didn’t come with you, your friends did.
4. When you became an adult, servings at restaurants seemed bizarre to you because you were so used to the heaping portions at The Cheesecake Factory.
5. You never had any pennies because you were always throwing them in some sort of mall fountain, making wishes.
6. All of your media was from Sam Goody.
7. You never snowboarded or skateboarded but you frequently wore the gear thanks to Pac Sun, Aeropostale and Hollister.
8. All your beauty products were of the cucumber scented persuasion courtesy of Bath and Body Works, as were your holidays gifts to every one of your friends.
9. You didn’t even like soft pretzels that much, but you found yourself eating them daily in every sort of shape and size.
10. By the time you graduated middle school, you had about twenty different friendship bracelets.
– Laura Kosann