Fairmont Chateau Whistler: Nestled at the base of Blackcomb Mountain, this ski in/ski out hotel is a kind of mountain paradise.
1. The Mallard Bar: The Fairmont’s hotel bar is less a bar and more a kind of commune. Whether doing après ski, or simply drinks before dinner, the spot hosts an impressive cocktail list and an even more impressive smattering of guests. Dedicated to the concept that the bar is merely an extension of a kitchen, the hotel brings the same attention to detail to the mixology as it does to the cuisine. Hosting a bevy of delicious drinks – from twisted ginger cocktails, to ‘Mad Men classics’ – there’s a cocktail for every possible occasion. The bar has a delicious all day menu as well – so come hungry.
Drinks: Do the Bloody Mary for Après Ski, and the California Trim Cabernet Sauvignon for a great red by the glass. Beer time? Do the Fairmont Honey Lager. For something lighter, the Moscow Mule.
Après: Nachos Grande
Lunch: The Club Sandwich with Yam Fries
Ideal Apps to share: Prosciutto and Arugula Flat Bread, Duck spring rolls
Dinner: Whistler Ale Braised Short Ribs
2. Vida Spa: The hotel’s spa is a little slice of luxury. Go for the deep tissue massage after your first day of skiing to soothe your muscles.
1. The Wildflower Grill Room: A true breakfast of champions for any skier; stop here to gear up before a big day of skiing, and choose between ordering off the menu or hitting up the buffet. The buffet is $32 a person but more than worth it with a delicious selection of smoothies, eggs (made any way you’d like) waffles, pancakes, crisp bacon – and even a muesli concoction that tastes slightly like rice pudding.
From the Menu: Poached eggs and avocado, Granola parfait, Wildflower Crab Benedict (menu comes with a complimentary strawberry smoothie)
From the Buffet: Muesli jar, Made-to-Order Omelettes, Banana Smoothie, Maple Smoked Crispy Bacon, Bread Pudding with Compote
Fairmont Chateau Whistler, 4599 Chateau Boulevard, Whistler, 1 800 606 8244
1. Four Seasons Whistler: There wasn’t a bar quite like Fifty Two 80 Bistro and Bar at Four Seasons Whistler, which combines the aesthetics of sleek mod and cozy ski lodge. We definitely enjoyed a few pre and post dinner drinks here; the live music at night is the perfect soundtrack after a long ay of skiing.
Drinks: They make a great dirty and dry martini, as well as a mojito made for sipping while dialing back your day.
Eats: The Dave Murray Salad, Fish Tacos
The Four Seasons, 4591 Blackcomb Way, Whistler, +1 604-935-3400
THE APRÈS SKI:
1. Merlin’s Bar and Grill: With the motto “Home of the endless Après,” this is a great spot for visitors looking for a more lively (and local) après. Located right at the bottom of Blackcomb Mountain, it’s somewhat like daytime nightlife. The spot serves up live music and reasonable daytime cocktails that can keep you hooked for hours on end…literally. Live music starts at 4:30.
Drinks: The Captain and Cokes are surprisingly delicious, as are the Bloody Marys, and Whiskey with Ginger for something a little stronger…
Warning: Nachos may not be as great as they’re cut out to be…
Merlins Bar & Grill, 4553 Blackcomb Way, Whistler, +1 604-938-7700
1. Araxi Restaurant: This Whistler Village restaurant may be one of the best meals we’ve ever had on a ski vacation. The menu is incredibly fresh, farm-to-table cuisine that’s focused on seasonality. There’s a great bar as well, which boasts both an indoor and outdoor area.
Eats: BC Oysters five ways, Assorted Local Beet Salad, Roasted BC Portobello Mushroom, Miso Crusted Sablefish, Yarrow Meadow Duck Breast
Araxi, 4222 Village Square, Whistler, +1 604-932-4540
2. Quattro: Also located in Whistler Village, this is a surprisingly delicious Italian trattoria with a mountain menu kind of twist. Definitely worth a drop by, this cozy spot is the kind of place where four hours go by in a flash.
Eats: The Antipasto Platter to share, Rigatoni Pecorari, Spaghetti Pescatore
Quattro, 4319 Main St., Whistler, +1 604-905-4844
3. Bearfoot Bistro: Perfect if you’re in the mood for a more heavy, high-end meal. Bearfoot is a great spot to come hungry and adventurous.
Eats: Heart of Palm and Asparagus, Quebec Foie Gras Terrine, West Coast Black Cod, Peace Country Lamb Rack
Bearfoot Bistro, 4121 Village Green, Whistler +1 604-932-3433